Thursday, March 15, 2012

Here is an archived article from a few years back. This article is a brief interview of our Director of Agronomy Conrad Broussard.

Back In The Day...Building The Reserve Course
WOW – you look great! What’s your secret?
Everyone loves to hear that. That kind of compliment makes your day and adds a little extra spring to your step, right?!
These days, our Clubs’ Director of Agronomy, Conrad Broussard, is hearing that compliment a lot…..about our golf courses! Residents and guests are commenting left and right about the condition of our 81 championship holes: they’re in fantastic shape…the best they’ve ever seen… impressive and beautiful…amazing golf!
Because of this, we had to go right to the source and ask the man in charge just how he (and his amazing team) does it. He and his impressive team of superintendents are up early and dedicated to offering our members and their guests the best round of golf possible. It’s a hard job — but Conrad has it under control.
Lets find out more, shall we?
How did you get started in the agronomy business – what’s your story?
I’ve always played golf. Grew up within a chip shot of the 7th green at Sun Meadow CC in the small town of Friendswood, TX. Fortunately, I was awarded a golf scholarship and graduated with a Business Administrative degree from Texas Tech University. After working in retail for several years, my passion for golf hadn’t diminished, so I went back to school and earned a Turf Management degree from Horry-Georgetown Technical College, located in Conway, SC.
I started with St. James Plantation in Sept of 1997 as an Assistant Superintendent on The Players Club. At that time, the course wasn’t open but was just about grown-in except for a few thin areas here and there. On my first day, I got a tractor stuck in a soft spot in the rough on #13. It took another tractor and a long chain to pull me out. I was surprised they let me come back, but they did. Over the years, I’ve been fortunate enough to have been the Head Superintendent on 3 out of the 4 courses, so I’m familiar with many of the quirks that go along with each.
Best part about your job? Most challenging?
The best part of the job, is without a doubt, the great people I get to work with. Since we are a large organization, we attract guys from all over the county. On staff, we have Superintendents and Assistant Superintendents ranging from Penn State, Ohio State and UMass to local talent, as well, with degrees from NC State and Brunswick Community College. They bring a lot to the table – great ideas, cutting edge techniques, strong work ethics and “can-do” attitudes.
The most challenging part of the job is finding enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I want to accomplish. I like to read, especially trade journals. Sometimes finding 15 minutes to try to learn something new can be a real challenge.
Your team — how much manpower does it take to keep 81 holes in tip-top-shape?
Our team may have as few as 40 Troon associates in the off season to as many as 48 in the peak season. We’ll also hire a few temporary laborers as needed throughout the season.
Our Audubon Certification — it’s a big deal and all 4 courses carry this distinction. What do we have to do/meet to keep this certification?
Audubon is all about protecting wildlife habitat and natural resources – water in particular. One of the habitats we’ve expounded is along the pond banks by allowing the natural vegetation to grow. We’ve seen an increase in the number of birds, turtles and frogs that live there. Speaking of ponds, many residents don’t realize that every pond on all four golf courses have been stocked with vegetative-eating carp. Because of the carp, we’re able to use less chemicals. We’ve also increased the amount of organic fertilizer we use. Actually, last year we used more organics than all other fertilizers combined.
Our residents are bragging about the GREAT condition of our courses — seasonally, are there certain things you focus on to keep the courses up?
With suggestions from Troon’s senior agronomist, university professors, and by trial and error we’ve fallen into a pretty good rhythm the last few years. Again, it all comes back to working with great folks - I’m surrounded by talent. They are constantly bombarding me with ways to improve and I like that. My goal every year is to be better than last year and for the most part I think we’re doing that.
The Reserve Club course
How much equipment does it take to tackle our 81 holes?
When I think about how many reels we have for mowing grass, it blows my mind. 175 reels. Enough to fill a garage. One mechanics job, all day long – everyday, is to grind and set reels. I asked him last week if he hears the sound of reels being ground in his sleep? (It’s not all that different from nails on a chalk board) He said he sleeps fine now, It only bothered him the first year or two!!!
Favorite thing to do when you’re NOT on the golf course….
Other than play with my two kids, Oliver (age 4) and Emily (age 6)…I like to fish. I caught a 10 pound bass about a year ago. The worst thing was, no one was there to see it! My camera, of course, was at home, so after a minute of holding her at the water’s edge, I let go. It was a great feeling, but probably the same for those who make a hole-in-one without a witness. Will anyone believe me? I guess it doesn’t matter if you don’t.
Members Club, #18
Favorite hole here…..Every hole here is special to me for one reason or another…but #18 at The The Members Club has to be near the top. I hook the ball (most of the time) so that one fits my eye and ball flight. It’s cool to putt at an eagle every now and then, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment